Admissions Information for Master of Theology Students
Requirements for consideration for a Master of Theology
The Master of Theology is an advanced academic degree. Applicants are expected to demonstrate their academic ability and readiness for in-depth study. Each applicant must meet the following requirements for admission:
- Demonstrated Christian character
- Individual departments may ask for additional requirements. Also, the Academic Graduate Studies committee may request an interview.
- A bachelor's degree and a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution (Professional Evaluation of transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States must first be evaluated by an agency such as the International Education Research Foundation)
- Completion of three semester hours of Hebrew, three semester hours of Greek and two additional hours advanced study in either Hebrew or Greek
- GPA no lower than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A paper that demonstrates research capability
- Acceptance for supervision by a professor in the chosen area of study.
- Checklist of application materials
- Admission Application Form (online or as download): Applicants must complete all appropriate sections of the application form. When listing colleges, universities and seminaries, include all that you attended, whether you completed a degree or not.
- Church Endorsement: An original church endorsement form completed by the applicant's church, indicating evidence of Christian character and leadership ability.
- Four completed recommendation forms: All applicants are responsible for distributing the required forms to the individuals listed as references on the application form. Before distributing the forms, be sure that your name is on them and that you have signed them. Reference forms must be completed by individuals that have known the applicant more than a year.
- Research Paper: This can be a research paper that was submitted to meet the requirements for a master's level course. It should adequately show your research ability. We request that you submit a clean, unmarked copy of the paper.
- Ethical Conduct Standard Form: Original, signed Ethical Conduct Standard form
- TOEFL Requirement: All applicants who have not completed a degree at an accredited institution in the United States, or for whom English is a second language, must submit an offical TOEFL score that is not more than one year old. The TOEFL requirement is 550 for paper based test and 80/ibt.
- International Students: All applicants requiring an F-1 visa must complete the pre-application process before starting the application. Contact the Admissions Office for details.
: June 15 (for fall semester start) or November 1 (for spring)
It is recommended that you begin the process at least 30 days before the deadline
to ensure completion of the file in time.