Accreditation & Authorization
Founded in 1944, Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary is an official Cooperative Program Ministry of the Southern Baptist Convention and is supported through tithes, offerings, and other gifts. Instruction occurs in accordance with the confessional statement adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in 2000. Golden Gate is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS), and the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
WASC may be contacted at:
Western Association of Schools & Colleges
985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100
Alameda CA 94501
ATS may be contacted at:
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada accredits individual campuses and degree programs and the following GGBTS degree programs are ATS approved at the designated campus:
Mill Valley, CA
- MDiv, MTS, MA in Educational Leadership, MA in Intercultural Ministry, Master of Missiology, DMin, ThM, PhD (Theology), PhD (Biblical Studies)
The following extension sites and degrees are approved as specified:
- Approved Degrees: MDiv, MA in Educational Leadership, MA in Intercultural Ministries, MTS, DMin
- Approved Degrees: MDiv, MTS, DMin
– Approved Degrees: MDiv, MTS, DMin
- Approved Degrees: MDiv, MTS, DMin
GGBTS is also approved to deliver a Comprehensive Distance Education Program.
In accord with WASC and ATS standards GGBTS track a variety of data related to the effectiveness of its educational programs. The data includes full and part-time students who entered either as degree-seeking or special students at any of Golden Gate's five campuses. This data reveals:
- An average 94.3 % retention rate from Fall 2011 to Fall 2012 for all master's degree students (MDIV, MAEL, MTS, MMiss, and MAIM).
- A cumulative 67.1 % graduation/retention rate in master's programs (MDIV, MTS, MAEL) operating since 2005-06 (the year data collection began).
- An average 56.3 % graduation rate for all persons enrolled in the same degrees since 2005-06.
- An average score of 4.24 from students graduating in 2011-12 rating their overall Seminary experience on a scale of 1-5 with 4 and 5 indicating "satisfied" and "very satisfied" respectively.
- An average of 95 % of MDIV and Professional MA students graduating in 2011-12 indicated that they incurred no educational debt while studying at GGBTS.
Operating within the Southern Baptist tradition, GGBTS does not ordain students nor "place" students in ministry positions upon graduation. However, the Seminary does maintain a ministry job board available to students, refer graduates for employment when requested, and regularly assists students seeking missions, church planting or other denominational service positions to connect with the International Mission Board and the North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Persons seeking additional information about the academic programs of GGBTS may contact the Registrar or the Office of the Vice President of Academic Services.
Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board
Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary is authorized by the Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board (HECB) and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree Authorization Act. This authorization is valid until September 30, 2013, and authorizes Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary to offer the following programs: Master of Divinity, Master of Theological Studies, and Doctor of Ministry. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the Act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the HECB office at: PO Box 43430, Olympia WA 98504-3430.
Veterans' Educational Benefits
Selected academic programs of study at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary are approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (HECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, U.S. Code.
The Higher Education Coordinating Board/State Approving Agency approved full-time status for the Master’s programs at nine credit hours for the receipt of Veterans' Educational Benefits (administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs).
Statement of IRS Compliance
The following statement is made in compliance with regulations published by the Internal Revenue Service and does not represent a change in our established method of relating to students: Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary admits students of any race, color, sex, national, and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other school-administered programs.